Sunday 20 April 2014

DIY Shea Butter Hair Cream


Ingredients:

150g Shea Butter
50g Coconut Oil
14-28g (1/2 - 1oz) Beeswax (depending on how stiff you want it to be)
1/4 cup of oil (I use a mix of Macadamia Nut Oil and Castor Oil)
10-20 drops of Fragrance oil (if you want)
An empty pot (just clean out one of your old hair cream pots that you no longer use)

I know some people prefer to whisk their Shea Butter mix, but when you whisk any mixture you mix air into it. When I used to whisk my hair mix, it quickly became rancid and I would find mould growing in the cream - not nice! I decided to melt the cream instead, so it would last a lot longer. If one person is using this mix it should last about 6 months. 

I added beeswax so the mix wouldn't be too greasy (Shea Butter is quite greasy) and because the wax really helps to seal in moisture when added to damp hair. You have to make sure you cool the mix with the lid off for a few hours so any steam that builds up will be able to escape or you might end up with bubbles of water in the bottom of the container. Finally it will two days to fully harden to a butter-like consistency (but you can use it after a day) and store it in a cool, dry cupboard.

I bought the Shea Butter, Macadamia Nut Oil and coconut fragrance from Freshskin, the Coconut Oil is the KTC version from Asda (it was a 500g jar for £1.99!) and the beeswax I bought from eBay.

Maz x

No comments:

Post a Comment